top of page
Marriage Visas

Marriage Visas

Visa that allows the foreign spouse of a Citizen or Legal Resident to immigrate to the U.S.

Marriage visa cases, also known as spousal visa cases, involve the process of obtaining a visa for a foreign national who wishes to immigrate to another country to join their spouse, who is a citizen or lawful permanent resident of that country. These cases are primarily aimed at reuniting spouses who are separated by international borders. Here are the key aspects of marriage visa cases:

Types of Marriage Visas:

1. Fiancé(e) Visa (K-1): This visa allows the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married. After marriage, the foreign spouse can apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder).

2. Spouse Visa (CR-1 or IR-1): These visas are for spouses of U.S. citizens. The CR-1 (Conditional Resident) visa is for couples married for less than two years, while the IR-1 (Immediate Relative) visa is for couples married for more than two years. Both lead to lawful permanent residency.

Application Process:

1. Petition: The process typically begins with the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse filing a petition on behalf of their foreign spouse with the relevant government agency, such as U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States.

2. Approval: After the petition is approved, it is forwarded to the U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreign spouse's home country. The foreign spouse must then apply for an immigrant visa.

3. Interview and Medical Examination: The foreign spouse attends an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate and undergoes a medical examination to ensure they are admissible to the United States.

4. Background Checks: Both spouses are subject to background checks and security clearances as part of the visa application process.

Marriage and Entry:

1. Marriage: If the visa is approved, the foreign spouse can travel to the host country and marry the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse within a specific time frame.

2. Entry: After the marriage, the foreign spouse can enter the host country as an immigrant with the appropriate visa.

Conditional Residence (CR-1 Visa):

1. Conditional Green Card: If the couple has been married for less than two years at the time of the immigrant visa approval, the foreign spouse initially receives a conditional green card, which is valid for two years.

2. Removal of Conditions: Within the 90-day window before the conditional green card expires, the couple must jointly apply to remove the conditions on the green card by providing evidence of a bona fide marriage.

Rights and Responsibilities:

1. Work Authorization: Foreign spouses who are lawful permanent residents usually have the right to work in the host country.

2. Conditional Residence: Couples with a conditional green card must jointly petition to remove the conditions during the two-year period.

3. Compliance with Immigration Laws: Both spouses are obligated to comply with immigration laws, including filing tax returns jointly (if applicable) and notifying immigration authorities of any address changes.

Marriage visa cases can be complex and involve a significant amount of paperwork and documentation. It's important to consult with immigration attorneys or experts to navigate these processes effectively and ensure that the legal requirements are met for the foreign spouse to obtain permanent residency in the host country. The specific procedures and requirements can vary from country to country, so it's essential to follow the guidelines provided by the relevant immigration authorities.

bottom of page